NOW HIRING! CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
Salary: $ 37,154.08 - $58,484.30
Job Type: Full time
Closing Date: Until all positions are filled
Posting Number: 18-215
General Summary: Corrections Deputies are assigned to the Corrections Division of the Ingham County Sheriff’s Office.
Corrections Deputies must maintain custody and control of the inmates at all times, in a firm but fair manner; with emphasis on maintaining their health, welfare and safety,
Corrections Deputies are under the direct supervision of the Correctional Command Staff. Corrections Deputies are expected to perform any and all duties assigned to them by Command officers..
1. Conduct floor counts and call inspections to assure that all inmates are accounted for and properly secured, according to their housing classification.
2. Assist in meeting the inmates’ personal needs, requests and problems, in a fair, humane manner, following established policies.
3. Monitor, control and document the movement of all persons on and off the officers assigned housing section.
4. Coordinate the movement and participation of inmates with the various programs within the facility.
5. Maintain a chronological record of daily activity.
6. Responsible to assure all inmates receive meals, medication, mail, personal property (as allowed), and clean laundry as provided for in policies.
7. Escort and search inmates as policy dictate.
8. Maintain key control and inspect safety equipment daily.
9. Report incidents of inmate rule violations as they occur, and other reports as situations dictate.
10. Maintain competency in the use of the security radios and the INJAMS computer system, providing authorization obtained.
11. Respond to calls for back-up to specific areas of the facility, depending upon particular job assignments.
12. Attend court on and off duty when required by a subpoena.
13. Attend and participate in Sheriff’s Office authorized training, including Corrections Academy if not certified prior to hiring.
14. Work mandatory overtime when directed by a supervisor.
15. Follow the lawful orders from their superior officers concerning all aspects of the Sheriff’s Office pertaining to assignments, duties and tasks.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent required. College training in Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice or Corrections preferred. Michigan Corrections Academy preferred.
Experience: Prior corrections work or Military experience preferred.
-Weight must be in proportion to height as determined by physical examination.
-Uncorrected vision correctable to 20/20 vision in each eye by soft contact lenses, gas permeable lenses and/or extended wear lenses. No greater than 20/40 vision in each eye correctable to 20/20 with glasses.
-Must not be color blind.
-Must have no prior felony convictions (includes expunged convictions).
-Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
-Must meet entrance requirements for Sheriff’s Office as stated above.
-Must pass a security clearance.
(The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria.)
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Required to communicate verbally and effectively by listening to people and by giving information, direction, and commands.
- Must be able to perform Corrections Deputy functions while working rotating shifts and unanticipated overtime.
- Required to perform searches of persons which involve touching and feeling to detect potential weapons and contraband.
- Must be capable of physically restraining inmates if necessary.
- Must be capable of reading and comprehending rules, regulations, policies, and procedures for purposes of ensuring appropriate officer behavior/response and performing enforcement activities involving the inmates.
- Must be capable of performing tasks which require lifting, carrying, dragging people or heavy objects while performing cell checks, rescues or other general corrections functions.
- Must be capable of affecting an attest or controlling a prisoner, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints.
Michigan Corrections Council Minimum Standards:
All corrections deputies in the State of Michigan must meet minimum standards developed by the Michigan Corrections Council. These include passing three standards:
- Physical Agility Test*
- Reading and Writing Test
- Psychological Test**
Those who apply for this position must pass the Reading and Writing test that is administered by EMPCO which is a test contractor for the Michigan Corrections Council. Your application must be accompanied with a certificate that you have passed this testing. Go to empco.net to sign up to take the test.
(* The Physical Agility test will be conducted by the Ingham County Sheriff’s Office quarterly—you will be notified via email when to attend this testing in Mason if you are selected for an interview)
(**The Psychological testing will be provided to any applicant after they pass a thorough background investigation and final interview, if given a conditional job offer)
(This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the requirements listed above. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements.)